All right guys, we've got a strong story and have started with concept and art material for the game. Now all we need to do is get organized. We need to know what exactly we have to do, assign the tasks, and set deadlines so we don't fall behind. Looking back at the syllabus, there are two options: 1) printed comprehensive design document and PR materials, 2) game prototype and PR materials. Seeing our team is promising and large, we can make the design document, have PR materials, AND have a game prototype.
Here is what we need:
- Comprehensive Design Document: cover, index, story, how game is played, how player navigates through space, pickups, items, overcomes enemies, solves problems, achieves goals, etc.
- Artwork and Visuals: box art, game label, manual
- PR Material: printed graphics, advertisements
The Game Design Document is an on-going project. We already have material for it - the story and gameplay. All we need is to put more detail into the material and compile it in a PDF. With artwork and such, we will add those on the document as we progress.
With Artwork we were discussing about making two levels: one for a typical 3D game level and another for the 2D mini-game prototype. The 2D prototype would be a higher priority since Sam needs time to code, test, debug, etc. We need to choose a world or setting to focus on the 3D level, something simple. This also ties with story and what other worlds (and how many) the game will offer.
PR Materials can be made once we have the characters and the look of worlds set in stone. Artur mentioned printing out an actual manual, making a physical mock game package with the box art. Chris suggested making a video. I'm not too familiar with PR so we can do some research and refer to other game PR material.
This sounds like a lot, but if we are running out of time we can probably shave off some of the less important propositions/ideas. I would LOVE to have a working prototype, seeing as how passionate we are about this project. Please, if you have any questions, suggestions, add anything I forgot, don't hesitate.
As with scheduling, Sam, what about Google Docs? They offer spreadsheet documents that you can post online, so you can edit it and post a link for us to see (assuming the spreadsheets use the same principle as the Google Powerpoint slideshow). I can probably help you get it started.
And another thing, since we are mainly working in digital, try to keep the resolution consistent. 300 dpi/ppi is good for printing. Keep that in mind, especially when scanning something that may be put in the design document and printing PR material.
I can get the book printed and have the programs to create the layout. I live with a design major who just created and printed out a manual and another book. I would of course need the info and art we wanted to use.
ReplyDeleteAlso Chis's mock-up of the box art looked great and I can work on rendering a more realistic version for the final presentation using adobe illustrator.
I'd really love to contribute more to this team!
So basically I'd love to work on the PR stuff :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a great view of where we are and where we need to go. Everyone read this and we should all be on the same page.
ReplyDeleteMaja, if you could put together a draft schedule and then email it to me that would be great. I can't quite wrap my head around it right now as am obsessed on how to build the prototype. Then I can help you with finalizing the details on it.
This all sounds great to me. The production schedule will help immensely and can't wait to see it.
ReplyDeleteI also failed to mention music and sound. Any ideas/inspirations? I agree with David that it can help bring out the art and mood of the game. Also, meeting once a week to make sure everything is in check. When are you free?
ReplyDeleteI'm free to meet anytime Mon or Wed. Let's also plan to meet before class on Fri. By then we will have a clear path forward.
ReplyDeleteIm free on monday as well (also sunday and after 4 on fridays) What time before class should we meet and where?
ReplyDeleteMy schedule is a bit tricky. I work at a hotel so my schedule changes almost every week. The one day I can always guarantee is anytime on Friday. Tuesday is the only day that I don't have class in the evenings. All other days I'm usually working.
ReplyDeleteI think if we all met up an hour or so before class on Friday that would be really great and easy for all of us so we don't have to really go out of our way to meet up.
Also, as Maja said, we should talk about the music. How about we bring the music ideas/inspiriations to our next meet up? I can bring my laptop and people can burn their MP3s or use a flash drive.
Hi everyone. Maja and I are meeting on Wednesday to finalize the production schedule. As soon as we finish we will post it to the blog.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I will be available before class on Friday in the meeting space at the end of the hall.
As far as music, why don't we just put up links on this blog. Trying to share music during our meeting might become chaotic!!
I'm willing to meet before class on Friday. Like Artur, my schedule is complicated because of work and my other classes. Sorry for not posting up the images of the sketches I showed you all this past Friday. I've been busy with my other classes amongst other things. I plan to post them by tonight. BTW, I opened the production schedule and for some reason I can't scroll to the left to see the text. I just get the last 4 letters of each sentence. Dunno what's going on...
ReplyDelete